Full Name:
John Edward Maskell
Date of Birth:
27 October 1901
Place of Birth:
Date of Death:
April 1991
Jack Maskell
Jack, brother of Dan, the tennis player and coach and famous Wimbledon commentator, joined Wimbledon in September 1929 after three seasons at Tufnell Park. A powerful centre-back with long kick, he soon replaced fading legend Edgar Goodens at the heart of the half-back line.

He stayed with the Dons until the end of the season, playing in the semi-finals of both the London Senior and the Amateur Cup.

At the end of that season, having turned down an offer to turn professional with Brighton, he approached committee member and treasurer Mortimer Miller, who was company secretary of the Hayes Cocoa Company (later Nestlé) and asked if he could find him a job.

Miller was also involved with Botwell Mission F.C., who had recently renamed as Hayes and, in return for the job, Maskell agreed to join a number of ex-Wimbledon players there.

[The following with thanks to]

At Hayes he played mainly at right-back, but also stood in at centre-half or wing-half, when needed. He was a regular member of the team which went all the way to the final of the Amateur Cup in 1931, playing in every match from the 4th qualifying round onwards, and collected a winner's medal when Hayes won the London Senior Cup in 1932.

He was selected for Middlesex on many occasions and for the Athenian League side against the RAF in November 1931. He stayed with Hayes for three seasons, making 86 appearances without scoring, before moving on to Southall (1933) and then Romford (1934).

He then played for his employers' team Hayesco until the club was disbanded shortly afterwards. At this point he turned out for Hayes again for a final seven times, when they were short of players, at the age of 35.

During the early wars years he turned out for Hayes Wasps. But that was not the end of the story. In 1937 he started playing cricket for West Drayton CC and continued playing into his seventies. In 1963 he came out of retirement to play for West Drayton 3rd XI, two years after giving up playing for the 1st XI. Elected President of the club in 1970, he remained the only player to have scored centuries on both days of the same week-end until 1989.

But he did not turn his back on his old football club: in 1957 he sent a telegram to Hayes FC, wishing them luck in their Amateur Cup semi-final against Bishop Auckland at Newcastle. He attended the Amateur Cup tie with City of Norwich OBU in January 1972, with fellow finalist Ralph Brown, and also was present when Hayes lifted the London Senior Cup for the second time - after a 50 year gap - in 1981. At this time he was still friendly with centre-half Albert Wainwright, a fellow resident of West Drayton, from the previous cup-winning team.

He died in April 1991, at the age of 89, the last link with the glories of Hayes' greatest achievements in the early 1930s.
1929/30: Appearances: 0 - Substitute: 0 - Goals: 0
- Total: Appearances: 0 - Substitute: 0 - Goals: 0
Genealogical Research:
These are research notes and may not relate to the player. Handle with care!

1911 Census
15 Everington Street: Fulham
M: Emma (1877)
F: Henry (1875)
S: William, Albert, Lillian, Elsie, Daniel, Emma
108 Disraeli Road , Wandsworth