THE HISTORY OF WIMBLEDON FOOTBALL CLUB
1914
1914-15

As early as September 5 that season Wimbledon arranged to donate all proceedings from their match with Tufnell Spartans to War Distress, a move repeated throughout the season. By the end of October, 27 Wimbledon players had left to join the forces and from then the formation differed from week to week as players came home for leave or left to join up.

Wimbledon were able to complete their season's fixtures but, on September 13, 1915, made the following announcement: "At a committee meeting of the club it was decided that no football engagements for the present season should be entered into, this course being adopted in comĀ­mon with the majority of first class amateur clubs."

The Wimbledon club officers who remained at home continued the improvements at Plough Lane, used for occasional benefit games between various regiments and units, and so the war years continued, with few reports of any football at the club through 1916, 17 and much of 1918. But then, on November 23, 1918, the Wimbledon News announced: ''Wimbledon Football Cub to be restarted."