THE HISTORY OF WIMBLEDON FOOTBALL CLUB
1930
1930-31

proved to be the most successful so far in the Club history with the Isthmian League Championship being won for the first time, along with five cups by the team, under the captaincy of Mr. F. J. Gregory. The Club secured the highest number of points ever attained by an Isthmian League club - 42 and only seven defeats were suffered during the season, two of these being by Third Division clubs. The five cups that the Dons picked up were: London Senior Cup, Surrey Combination Cup, Surrey Charity Shield, South Western Junior Cup and South London Charity Cup. The reserve team also had a good season, finishing third in the table.

This season marked the retirement of F. J. Gregory and our team in the final of the Surrey Combination Cup when Guildford City were dispatched 2-0 was: E. Whisker, E. Curnow, F. J. Gregory, F. Wade, O. Parry, R. A. Goodchild, J. O'Brien, C. P. Christie, W.W. Dowden, H. E. R. Barnes (who scored both goals) and A. Laker. Doc Dowden was again the Club's top scorer with a total of 37. Mr. H. R. Watts was the manager and he was ably assisted by Alec Ford (trainer). The Dons reached the 1st Round Proper for the 2nd year running in the F.A.Cup. A short trip to Fulham resulted in a hard fought 1-1 draw, with the professionals' superior status only making itself apparent in the replay, when Fulham won 6-0 at Plough Lane.

The Club broke new ground over the Easter Holidays by going on a very successful tour of Germany. The season finished with Wimbledon in a very strong financial position and work was quickly commenced on building a more permanent headquarters that would be worthy of the high position now attained by the Club in the world of football.