The move up into the Isthmian ranks now put them among the elite in the amateur game. But Wimbledon were to find it a tough transition, winning just seven games of 26 played, finishing next to bottom and having to apply for re-election. They were now running four teams and their reserves were to triumph in their Isth­mian League section, taking the tide. They again entered the Wednesday League and also ran a Strollers XI.

There was little cheer for the first team, however. They did make it through to the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup, before losing out 1-0 against Guildford City, but there were first round defeats in the Amateur Cup, London and Surrey Charity Cups, and second round exits in the Surrey Senior and London Senior.

Wimbledon did get their hands on one trophy, winning the South London Charity Cup for the first time since the 1902-3 campaign. Guildford City were to end Wimbledon's FA Cup hopes the following season as well, again in the fourth qualifying round, but this time by a more resounding four goal margin.

And it required a stunning run in at the end of the season, earning eight points from a possible ten, to hoist Wimbledon clear of the danger zone in the League as they finished 11th.

A long run in the Surrey Senior Cup, however, only ended in the final, with a 2-1 defeat against Dulwich, while in the Amateur Cup, they progressed safely to the fifth round before losing out to the Northern Nomads, 2-0.

There was success once again in the Bruges Tournament, this time contested in Holland. Wimbledon finished winners again, to maintain their fine European record, with victories over sides from Luxembourg and Holland.

There was more silverware for the reserves to savour as well, as they again won their Isthmian League section and progressed to the London Intermediate Cup Final, before losing out to Hays Wharf, 5-2. George Armitage was still catching the eye for the first team and Charlton Athletic were suitably impressed to come in and sign him up, on amateur terms. He was to make 165 Football League appearances in a seven year spell at Charlton, that also saw him feature in the England Amateur side. Wimbledon soldiered on in their third Isthmian League season, slightly improving in finishing 10th.

The Surrey Senior Cup provided the high spot for the season as Wimbledon again made it through to the final, only to be pipped 1-0, this time by Summerstown. It was left to the reserves to show the way. For the third successive year they won their League tide in a competition now open to 14 clubs on the introduction of a Casuals sec­ond XI.

Under the captaincy of George Boase, they certainly gave Delfia Hollandie Combinatie a few surprises in the first round of the Bruges Tournament at Easter, before going down to the only goal. The first team's European successes con­tinued, however, as they beat Sparta (Rotterdam) 4-1, Ajax Sportsman (Leiden) 3-1 and Haarlemeche (Haarlem) 5-1 in the space of four days over Easter.