THE HISTORY OF WIMBLEDON FOOTBALL CLUB
1939
1939-40

For season 1939-40 the Isthmian League decided to increase their membership from fourteen to sixteen clubs, with the addition of Romford and Walthamstow Avenue. No sooner had the League program got under way than war was declared on 3rd September 1939 and it was decided to suspend the League until the end of hostilities. Still wishing to carry on playing football, the Club joined a temporary league that went under the name of the South-Eastern Combination and which was comprised of the following clubs: Tooting and Mitcham, Dulwich Hamlet, Nunhead, Redhill, Sutton United, Erith & Belvedere, Bromley and Wimbledon.

We finished third in the league and also won the Surrey Senior Cup (War Emergency Competition) by beating Tooting and Mitcham in the final. Our cup winning team was: G. King, M. Fisher, L. Cannon, J. Black, H. Bridge, J. Fennell, A. Stevens, H. Stannard, T. Laker, A. Fuce & D. Talbot.