Saturday, 29 September 1945
Isthmian League
St. Albans City
4 - 4

The Dons gained their first league point of the season with a much improved team and display before a fairly large crowd, including a sprinkling of diehard visiting fans. Fuller, Smith and Head returned to the line-up and Simmons came into the forward five for his debut.

Both sides had chances to open the scoring in the early exchanges. Head nodded on and Valentine beat Simmons to the ball, but his clearance hit Fuce and rebounded towards goal and it took a goal-line clearance from Burke to prevent a goal. City pushed forward on the right and a grand shot from Christopher rebounded off the foot of the post and back towards the home half, Reeves took hold and passed to Fuce, whose cross was turned goalwards by Head, but the keeper saved. St. Albans took the lead with ten minutes gone, Christopher beating Bridge and shooting past Unwins from close range, despite the efforts of Fuller. Wimbledon hit back and both Fuce and Reeves went close with snap shoots, then Richfield forced a corner from which Fuce levelled the scores. A few minutes later and Connell put City back into the lead, latching onto a pass from Holbern and shooting between the advancing keeper's legs.

The Dons started the second half with renewed vigour. Head hit the side netting and Reeves had a goal disallowed when adjudged offside as Head flicked on a Richfield cross to him. Valentine was then forced into a double save from Richfield before Simmons equalised when he ran on to a cross from Richfield and scored with ease. A few minutes later the visitors took the lead for the first time when Fuce turned home Reeves centre. The game then twisted back the other way, Christopher again hit the base of the post with a rasping drive, Evans was first to the rebound and Holbern beat Unwins from his pass. Straight from the kick-off Connell ran almost the length of the Dons' half, towards the corner flag, before centring for Christopher to score from a few yards out. Wimbledon pressed hard for to level again and the keeper twice beat away for a corner shots from Richfield, from the second of which Bradshaw cleared a goal-bound Fuce effort off the line. The goal finally came three minutes from the end when Fuce received a pass from Head and made no mistake, his third of the game.