THE HISTORY OF WIMBLEDON FOOTBALL CLUB
1901
1901-02

By then, though, it was a new ground, a new look, and a new name. The annual meeting of August 23, 1901, had voted to move to a private ground secured in Worple Road West, at the bottom of Pepys Road. Dressing rooms would be in Cottenham Park School.

The move was considered important to attract supporters to the club's games. An attempt was even made at selling season tickets. There were just 35 takers. But the playing standards at the new ground hardly matched what had gone beĀ­fore.

Clapham put Old Centrals out of the London Junior Cup 4-2 in the fourth round, while Tooting Graveney repeated the dose in a second round South Western Cup replay. In The Clapham League, Old Centrals could only manage runners-up place, four points adrift of Clapham.

There was nothing to show for a campaign that produced 100 goals in 33 first team games. There were worries over the ground, while the club also said farewell to its original skipper, George Rayment. He was getting married, and although the club was a little short on silverware that season, George wasn't - he and his bride were presented with a silver plated tea set as a wedding present.

But despite the club's concerns over the ground, and temporary halt in honours on the park, their May-time general meeting at the end of that season put the forward wheels in motion, deciding on a step up into the Southern Suburban League. It was to prove the club's worst ever season.