THE HISTORY OF WIMBLEDON FOOTBALL CLUB
1896
1896-97

Green and black were the club colours for season 96-97, but the victories in Clapham and Herald League competition continued, with the first team winning 16 of 27 fixtures.

Life wasn't all a bowl of cherries for the reserves. Such was the fluctuations in facilities of that day that in one game on Clapham Common they had to contend with a centre circle, the main feature of which was not the centre spot, but rather four trees, encased in wire fencing! The referee must have caught wind of this unusual sight, for he failed to show and they eventually played the game, trees et al, as a friendly.

Not so friendly on another occasion though, was a visiting linesman. He thought so little of the referee that he continued to barrack him with a stream of foul language until the referee could stand no more and sent him off!

The club had taken a year's break from the London Junior Cup, but returned in some style the following season, progressing to the semi-finals with a string of victories that featured a Lovatt hat-trick in a 3-1 win over Metrogas. Wimbledon finally bowed out 5-0 at the hands of Dulwich - but not before an official enquiry into the state of the Anerley pitch prompted calls for a replay, which was at first granted but then later overruled.