THE HISTORY OF WIMBLEDON FOOTBALL CLUB
1897
1897-98

Wimbledon Old Centrals were approaching the end of their first 10 years in a very healthy state. The annual general meeting of 1898 revealed a £16 profit, while the club's previous London Cup success was rewarded with a first round bye for the coming season.

Although Penge were to put them out in a third round, third replay, Old Centrals were to triumph again in the Clapham League. They turned the heat on from the first game, a 4-1 win, over Celtic Rangers that had kicked off late because it was considered too hot! And the same scoreline put paid to St Mary's Rec in the final game, which saw Old Centrals on top of the table and Champions again. League president Mr. H. Morton Carr presented the Shield and medals, praising Wimbledon's "good friendship", an observation still as sound today as all those years ago.