Saturday, 16 September 2000
Football League Division 1
Selhurst Park
Attendance: 8,761
Ref: Peter Walton
John Hartson
1 (0) - (0) 1
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Joleon Lescott
Michael Oakes
Ryan Green
Kevin Muscat
Joleon Lescott
Goal 79
Darren Bazeley
Neil Emblen
Mohammed Camara
Subbed 78
Lee Naylor
Carl Robinson
Michael Branch
Subbed 63
Adam Proudlock
Andy Sinton
Sub ((23) 78)(23)
Mike Stowell
Keith Andrews
Sami Al-Jaber
Sub ((10) 63)(10)
Steeve Epesse-Titi

Agoal by Joleon Lescott 10 minutes from time, was enough to give Wolves a share of the spoils against Wimbledon at Selhurst Park.

The Dons can count themselves unlucky that they did not grab all three points in an very entertaining game.

John Hartson was leading the front-line with some authority as Wimbledon pressed home their dominance, but their inability to convert possession into chances proved costly.

Wimbledon constantly found their attacking play breaking down before they could test Wolves goalkeeper Michael Oakes.

Indeed the only save of the first period of any note was from home goalkeeper Kelvin Davis, who pushed Kevin Muscat's 20-yarder over the bar after seven minutes.

The chance came immediately after the Wolves skipper had picked up the rebound following Michael Branch's effort smacking the right-hand post.

Trond Andersen should have done much better for the Dons in the 22nd minute when he could only head an effort over the bar from six yards out.

Then Hartson flashed an effort across the face of the Wolves goal in after 33 minutes.

The home side came out in the second half looking to carry on where they left off and three minutes after the break Hartson got his head to a Marcus Gayle cross, only for it to drift wide of the far post.

It was no surprise though when Wimbledon finally took the lead after 58 minutes as Hartson headed powerfully into the net, connecting with Neal Ardley's free-kick.

Wolves continued to battle though, and after a couple of half-chances went begging, they levelled on 80 minutes.

It came when substitute Andy Sinton, who had only been on the pitch for a couple of minutes, whipped an inviting corner to the far post.

Lescott rose highest to divert the ball past Davis into the opposite corner and score a vital first goal for the club.