Saturday, 14 October 2000
Football League Division 1
Selhurst Park
Attendance: 9,030
Ref: George Cain
John Hartson (2), Damien Francis, Jason Euell
4 (2) - (3) 4
Mark Saunders, Carl Asaba, Andy Thompson (2)
Vince Bartram
Mark Patterson
Barry Ashby
Guy Butters
Subbed 67
Chris Hope
Andy Hessenthaler
Yellow 64
Mark Saunders
Goal 25 Subbed 73
Paul Smith
Nicky Southall
Subbed 78
Carl Asaba
Yellow 36 Goal 86
Andy Thompson
Goal 19 Goal 21
Junior Lewis
Sub ((15) 73)(15)
Roland Edge
Adrian Pennock
Sub ((6) 67)(6)
Paul Shaw
Sub ((7) 78)(7)
Marlon King

ACarl Asaba goal two minutes from time earned Gillingham a much deserved point against Wimbledon in an eight-goal thriller at Selhurst Park.

The goal was just reward for a gritty performance that saw the Gills lead twice in a topsy-turvey match.

Wimbledon got off to a flyer with a goal from Damien Francis after five minutes with Gillingham still settling into the match.

Gillingham bounced back quickly though and struck twice in as many minutes to change the course of the match.

The first came after 19 minutes when Dons' centre-half Chris Willmott showed indecision in the penalty area and this allowed Asaba to get a shot in on goal.

Thomson reacted quickest by sticking a boot out to make the scores level.

Two minutes later Thomson was again quick to react to a loose ball, as he collected a long punt to lob the stranded Davis and put the visitors ahead.

John Hartson was causing problems for Gillinham throughout, and he struck quickly to level the scores after 23 minutes, taking advantage of some poor handling by Vince Bartram.

The Gills showed real character though and incredibly went ahead again two minutes later.

This time poor marking from a corner allowed Mark Saunders to steal in at the back post unmarked to put Gillingham 3-2 ahead, a lead they held until the interval.

The second half saw the Dons dominate proceedings and they scored twice to get themselves in front once more.

Jason Euell levelled the game after 58 minutes, peeling off at the back post to beat Bartram with ease.

Then with only 11 minutes remaining Hartson edged his side in front powering the ball home from 10 yards.

Gillingham refused to give up though, and in the dying moments Asaba got them a point that over the piece they certainly deserved.