Saturday, 15 October 1949
Isthmian League
Tufnell Park
2 - 3

Wimbledon’s visit to Cheshunt in search for Isthmian League points was somewhat a reunion, with Frank Lemmer and Les Dowding in the Tufnell Park starting line-up and Jack Finch on the touchline as reserve. For the Dons, Jack Haydock had not recovered from the injury sustained in the midweek cup tie, so Arthur ‘Ginger’ Parsons stepped in for his debut in goal.

The Dons started with a stiff wind and blinding sun in their favour and were soon on the attack, but Dowding on the right soon put Mendoza through and Parsons didn’t have time to move before the ball was past him and in the back of the net. The visitors forced six corners in as many minutes, but Gibbs stood resolutely, saving at full length from Freddie Gauntlett, before the keeper failed to gather a shot from Vic Bird and Harry Stannard was hovering to equalise with twenty minutes on the clock. Ken Lister engineered a move via Jim Smith and Bird that ended in Gibbs pulling off a glorious save from Stannard and the keeper continued his good form for the rest of the half, throwing himself here, there and everywhere to foil the visiting forwards’ efforts.

There was nothing the keeper could do to stop Wimbledon taking the lead five minutes after the break; Bird putting the ball through the middle for Jack Wallis to run onto and fire the ball into the roof of the net. Smith then hit a shot from outside the box that Fennell kicked off the line, but Tufnell Park was not yet beaten. They swung the ball from wing to wing in the swirling wind and Parsons did well to clear the line on several occasions. Eventually the home side equalised from a corner on the right that fell amongst a group of players, Lineker getting the vital touch. The Dons pressed desperately for the decider and it wasn’t until ten minutes from the end that they got it. Lister sent Ron Head forward for a corner and he ran in to score a grand goal with his head. Wallis nearly added another when he beat two men, but he shot too quickly and straight into the keeper’s arms. Dowding sent in a cross that just evaded the head of Coke, and the final whistle blew just as Bird went clear, although he was offside.