Saturday, 07 January 1950
London Senior Cup - 1st Round
Plough Lane
2 - 1

Of last week’s outstanding pair Jock Woods was moved to half-back and Jim Smith was unavailable, holidaying in Scotland to aid recovery from injury, so Doug Munday and Bill Cousins were shoe-horned into the attack.

Quickly off the mark, Ilford’s lively young side forced a first minute corner that McLean headed just too high, but Wimbledon had the edge for the first twenty minutes and could have gained an insurmountable lead had the forwards worked more cohesively and shot more accurately. They did take the lead though, Ron Head beat off the challenges of two defenders and tapped the ball through for Munday to open the score. The visitors slowly gained a foothold and proved dangerous down both wings and Jack Haydock had to react sharply to punch out a rising shot from McLean, Arthur Maggs clearing before G. Mills could reach the ball. Haydock also had to dive across his goal to keep out a cross-shot from Smith before Head fluffed a good opening by hesitating when clear. Smith forced Haydock into several more saves before the Dons took up the offensive again before the interval, but Cox was well protected by his backs.

Ilford started the second half as they had the first, but with two corners, Smith beating Haydock but hitting the bar from one, Lister’s clearance setting Head away, he found Derek Clarke, who in turn passed on to Harry Bull, but a fine counter-attack ended with the winger hurrying his shot wide. Cox then had to throw clear after gathering the ball from a crowd of players. Twenty-five minutes in, against the run of play, the visitors equalised. Left-back J. Mills smartly tricked his way forward, his shot hit a defender and rebounded nicely for Parker to level. Encouraged, Ilford pushed for another, but Wimbledon defended relentlessly but calmly, their experience showing through, and with ten minutes left a rare home attack ended with Eyett handling the ball just outside the area. Lister’s powerful free-kick hit the back of the net with the speed of a bullet, leaving Cox grasping at thin air and the Dons through to the next round.