Saturday, 14 January 1950
F.A. Amateur Cup - 1st Round
0 - 2

With Jim Smith again available and Vic Bird recovered, Doug Munday returned to the half-back line and Charlie Smith, scorer of consecutive hat-tricks for the reserves, was cherry-picked in preference to Derek Clarke at centre-forward, the committee reasoning that his extra weight would be more advantageous against K’s Don Stoker.

There was great interest in the game " 9,000 spectators turned up at Richmond Road and the match was televised. Before kick-off orange, red, yellow and white balls were placed on the goal-line and the white ball selected. Kingstonian, who had already knocked the Dons out of the F.A. Cup, started sharply and Whing shot over from an easy opening in the first minute. Daborn shot wide and left-back Ridgewell caused Jim Haydock trouble with a long-range shot. It was all K’s but, against the run of play, Wimbledon took the lead in the ninth minute with their first attack. Munday broke up an offensive movement between Drawwater and Scott and crossed to Charlie Smith, he flicked the ball onto Bird who in turn put in Ron head to beat Hounslow with a low shot. The home side resumed their attack as if nothing had happened and Arthur Maggs came to the rescue with a timely clearance before the visitors livened up and Bird’s header from Jock Wood’s cross was turned for a corner. Head then headed goalwards with Hounslow out of position and Ridgwell, standing on the line, controlled the ball with his hand before clearing, only for the referee to wave play on despite vociferous appeals. As if to make amends, the next Kingstonian attack and cross from Holding down the right resulted in Whing and Scott bundling Haydock and the ball over the line, but the goal was ruled foul and disallowed. Whing missed two further good chances although Wimbledon re-asserted themselves before the break and both Bird and Head both went close with good efforts.

Within a minute of crossing over Whing rattled the bar with a tremendous drive but soon after, with the goal at his mercy, he fired way over. Eight minutes in Wimbledon retaliated with a beautiful passing move involving all five forwards that ended with Bird lobbing in a shot which Fancett, running back towards his own goal, could only head upwards and Head beat Hounslow in a race to the ball and nodded it over the keeper and into the net. Despite the two goal deficit the Kingstonian fans still appeared unconcerned, but they hadn’t factored in the coolness and strength of the Dons defence, which never wavered. Pat Field, who had suffered a nervous first half, regained his composure and combined with Maggs to create a formidable last line, ably assisted by the half-backs. The Dons dominated the play, Head shot just over and Wallis charged Hounslow over the line a yard wide of the post. Doug Munday turned a shot for a corner and Haydock had to be on his toes to deal with a head back from Maggs but the further on the game went the more the K’s attack petered out and by the end the visitors were the complete masters and through to the next round.