Saturday, 15 April 1950
Isthmian League
Plough Lane
3 - 2
Tufnell Park

Ron Head returned for his farewell appearance with Charlie Smith making way.

For the first twenty minutes of the game Tufnell Park were penned in their own half of the field. Soon after the start Bird trapped a dropping ball smartly and fired in a shot which struck the crossbar, Gibbs turning it round a post for a corner. Two other corners were conceded before the danger was disposed of by Fennel kicking clear from the goal line. Gauntlett had an easy chance when the ball came off a defender and gave him a clear opening. He shot hurriedly and was yards wide. Gibbs saved a high shot from Bird, who was setting an example to his colleagues by shooting first time. Bull was also on the target with a powerful low drive which Gibbs fielded brilliantly. The game continued to be very one-sided till ten minutes from the interval when the Park were awarded a free kick near the half-way line. Burke placed the ball into the Dons goal area and Hargreaves hooked it in the net. The Dons quickly returned to the offensive and following a scrimmage in the visiting goal Head headed an equaliser.

Three minutes after the interval Gauntlett gave the Dons the lead from a back pass by Stannard. Tufnell Park fought back gamely, their wingers breaking way with speedy runs and Hargreaves shooting with accuracy. The centre-forward hit the crossbar with a great shot. Hargreaves also paved the way for a surprising equaliser when he crossed to the right to prevent the ball going out of play and lobbed in a centre from which Weston scored with a low drive. It was not long before the Dons regained the lead. Gauntlett ran well down the field and centred, Stannard tried a header but the ball was blocked by a defender and this left Bull with an easy task of tapping the ball into the net. In the remaining twenty minutes the Dons monopolised play, but try as they would they could not beat Gibbs again. Gibbs was certainly the hero of this match.

This was Ron Head’s farewell game. He has been a loyal servant of the Dons for many years and it was a nice gesture to make him captain for the match. His colleagues hugged him when he scored the Dons first goal and the crowd gave him a storming welcome as the players left the pitch at the end of the game.