Saturday, 17 September 1949
F.A. Cup - Pre
Hounslow Town
2 - 2

Harry Stannard returned to lead the attack after a creditable display against the Nigerian touring team, with Arthur Maggs resuming in his regular right-back berth as Wimbledon were forced to join the F.A. Cup at the Preliminary Round after failing to take advantage of their exemption to the later stages in the previous two seasons.

Wimbledon struggled to get going on the small Denbigh Road pitch that their Corinthian League opponents called home. Soon after the start Jack Haydock needed to be alert to deny a King header and the defence were kept busy. Once the visitors got going the forwards were held in check by first-time tackling, with Briggs keeping a close eye on Harry Stannard, although it was the latter who created the first chance, hooking the ball over his head but a foot wide. Vic Bird force Edghill to parry a snap-shot and a defender cleared with Jack Wallis closing in on the rebound. The visitors continued to make chances, Stannard and Wallis getting in each others way in an attempt to reach a cross from Freddie Gauntlett and Bird went close with a first-time shot after Stannard had pulled it back to him. Three minutes before the end of the half Pattison took the ball to the other end and centred from near the corner flag to Pope, Haydock beat away his fierce drive and ran out to clear the ball, but Dowse beat him to it and crashed the ball in for the lead. There was still time for Stannard to put in a low shot that forced Edghill to dive across goal to tip for a corner.

Eight minutes after the restart Wallis equalised with a first-time drive after the keeper could only knock away Gauntlett’s cross. Two minutes later latched onto a long cross from the wing and, after a brief tussle in the goalmouth, snapped the ball into goal to give the Dons the advantage. Hounslow went on the offensive with their backs and halves hefting the ball forward and their wings switching passes from side to side, forcing the Wimbledon defence into a tangle. With the help of Haydock they managed to hold firm until ten minutes from time when James headed Dowse’s centre against the post, King show low back in and Haydock could only fist out to Pope who scrambled the ball through a crowd of players for the equaliser.