Saturday, 22 April 1950
Isthmian League
Plough Lane
3 - 1

Jock Woods moved up to replace Bob Sears with Ken Perkins returning as half-back as the Dons took on top of the table Leytonstone, four points clear before the game, in a contest that would have a possible bearing on the title.

The Dons gave one of their best displays of the season, setting up one of the keenest finishes in the competition for years, five clubs having a fairly equal chance. Harry Stannard returned to his best form and Cliff Hockaday could find no way of stopping him. This added pep to the attack which backed up by grand halves set a cracking pace from the start and kept it up right to the last minute. The Leytonstone defence was steady under continued pressure but Jarvis was fortunate on several occasions to scoop the ball to safety before being beaten by Stannard in 20 minutes. Vic Bird deserved credit for his goal as his shot hit the upright, Stannard running in to meet the rebound and tap the ball in the net. Leytonstone made good use of their speedily wingers, Joseph and Patrick but it was when Bailey roamed to the outside-right position and centred that the visitors equalised through Stather ten minutes later. It was doubtful who got the Dons second goal. Jarvis jumped to meet a hugh ball from Bird’s shot. As he did so Freddie Gauntlett, a yard or so from the goalkeeper, also jumped to head the ball. Some though he did so, but from the stands, including the gathered press, it appeared that neither Jarvis or Gauntlett had touched the ball and Bird was credited with the score.

In the second half Wimbledon had Leytonstone completely non-plussed at times, especially after Stannard increased the lead ten minutes after the restart with a picture goal. Jock Woods held off the challenge of Kavanagh and Pullinger to take the ball about two yards from the line near a corner flag. He centred low to Stannard, who crouched to direct the ball well out of the reach of Jarvis with a header. The Leytonstone goalkeeper then ran out to the edge of the penalty area to gather the ball and challenged by Woods and Gauntlett dropped it, but managed to recover it again in amusing scramble. Jack Wallis and Stannard went close with good efforts and Jarvis saved a storming shot from Wallis. Except for an occasional breakaway, Leytonstone were kept on the defensive and were soundly beaten.