Saturday, 06 May 1950
Isthmian League
Plough Lane
1 - 0
Walthamstow Avenue

Jack Wallis and Jock Woods continued the switch made partway through the Dulwich game. Arthur Maggs was unable to play and Billy Cousins deputised at full-back.

The Dons were much superior to their rivals in ball play, and the veteran Robson had far more to do in goal than Arthur Parsons, although it took the home side some time to get into their stride. Once they mastered the ground conditions their forwards continually harassed the Walthamstow defenders. Saunders, however, was a capable centre-half and the backs, Butcher and Spall, gave him ample support. Harry Stannard was the first to test Robson when he took a pass from Freddie Gauntlett in his stride and sent in a low shot which bounced awkwardly. The goalkeeper parried the ball and a defender conceded a corner, following which Gauntlett headed across goal. Gauntlett missed a good chance when Stannard put him through, and soon afterwards Stannard hit the foot of an upright with the goalkeeper out of position. Jim Smith met the rebound, only to shoot wide. Raids on the visiting wings were checked by Cousins and Pat Field, and as the inside forwards were easily held there was little danger in the Walthamstow breakaways. Despite their superiority, the Dons did not get a goal until eight minutes before the interval. There did not seem any urgency for Preskett to pass the ball back to his goalkeeper but Gauntlett apparently sensed what was going to happen and he just beat the advancing Robson in the race for the ball and flicked it into an empty goal.

Gauntlett proved a glutton for work in the second half. He foraged all over the place and initiated many attacks which caused Walthamstow’s defence to wobble. From one of his passed Wallis cracked in a beauty which Robson had difficulty in saving. Stannard showed his disgust when he failed to score from an easy position from a Wallis cross, and there were appeals for a penalty when a defender handled a shot from Gauntlett, but the referee must have contended that this was accidental. Wallis hit a post, and when Gauntlett met the rebound his shot was deflected for a corner. This produced a struggle in the goalmouth, during which a number of shots were charged down, and finally Robson turned Vic Bird’s effort for another corner. After the excitement had died down Walthamstow broke away on the right. Parsons left his goal as Ken Lister was about to tackle Russo. All three fell in a heap. Parsons got up, but Lister and Russo had to receive the attention of the trainers before the game could be resumed. The Dons kept up the offensive to the end, but Robson was able to parry a hard drive from Gauntlett, and Butcher kicked the ball the safety. The score flattered Walthamstow.

In defeating Walthamstow Avenue in the concluding match of the season the Dons finished up second in the Isthmian League table, one point behind Leytonstone. They had the satisfaction of scoring more wins in the league than any other club. A Spate of injuries has prevented them from fielding their strongest side during the final games and, but for this, they would certainly have celebrated their jubilee year by winning the Isthmian championship.