Saturday, 12 November 1949
Isthmian League
Plough Lane
5 - 0
Wycombe Wanderers

Jack Wallis, Harry Stannard and Freddie Gauntlett returned to their usual positions in the forward line as a full-strength Wimbledon side took on Wycombe for Isthmian League points.

Despite facing a high wind and blinding rain in the first half, the Dons were soon on the attack and forced two corners in the first two minutes. From the second Williams had to dive full length into the mud to keep out a shot from Vic Bird and he was still stranded when Harry Stannard fired home the rebound, but Strong kicked off the goal-line. The two Poles in the Wanderers’ front line, Mikrut and Kornas, combined to provide Birdseye with a glorious chance, but the visiting captain blazed the ball over from four yards out. Stannard then hit the crossbar at the other end and in the eighteenth minute Gearing was adjudged guilty of handball and the Don’s centre-forward opened the scoring from the penalty spot. There were several more chances for Wimbledon to increase the lead as they bombarded Williams’ goal, but his agility kept his charge secure until five minutes before the interval when Jack Wallis received the ball unmarked and twenty yards out and he fired home a beauty that would have beaten any goal-keeper.

The home superiority was more pronounced in the second period, and when Bird scored the third five minutes after the restart it was simply a matter of how many. Williams was the star of the show, coming to the rescue of his side on several occasions, even getting the better of Stannard after the forward had intercepted a goal kick that left him clear on goal. There was an amusing interlude when there was an announcement over the loud speaker that a small boy in the stand had lost his mum and dad and was being comforted in the secretary’s office. His parents were so engrossed in the football that they’d forgotten he was with them, and they were soon reunited. The game had turned into a competition between Williams and the Dons’ forwards, notably another outstanding save from a low Stannard drive, but eight minutes from the end he was finally beaten again when Jim Smith cantered down the wing and centred for Stannard to hook the ball into the net. As they eased up, Wycombe showed they could not be toyed with and Mikrat wriggled his way past Ken Lister and between the two back, only to shoot straight at Haydock. The keeper could only parry the ball to Kornas, but he failed to hit the target. Taking no further risks the home side returned to their bombardment and in the final minute Smith rounded of a superb display with a fifth goal from Gauntlett’s cross.