Saturday, 19 November 1949
Isthmian League
5 - 1

Wimbledon made the trip across London with a full strength side, whilst Isthmian League front-runners Leytonstone were minus three of their regulars; Jarvis, A Smith and Noble playing for the Southern Counties against the Northern Counties at Bishop Auckland, effectively an international trial.

The apparent depletion didn’t seem to affect the home side in the slightest as the replacements fitted straight in and the game was all over after twenty minutes. F Smith opened the scoring in the sixth minute with a delightful header from a Joseph cross and seven minutes later Trevor Bailey, five months after his right-arm, fast-medium paced bowler test debut for the England cricket team, centred for Stather to head a second and in a practically similar movement Groves crossed for Bailey to score the third headed goal after twenty minutes. Ken Lister, playing against his old team, tried to initiate a fight-back and hit the top of the bar with a free-kick a few yards outside the box. Jock Woods forced deputising keeper Dawber to turn a shot for a corner and then Vic Bird brought a good save from the custodian. Five minutes from the break Ron Head placed a free-kick from near the touch-line into the goalmouth and after a scramble in which several shots were charged down Bird got the ball between the posts to reduce the arrears.

Wimbledon returned to the attack on resumption, but Len ‘Ginger’ Wallis, who joined Leytonstone via Walton and Hersham after playing for the Dons in the Amateur Cup final, easily mastered Freddie Gautlett and Hockaday completely subdued Harry Stannard, leaving the visiting attack disjointed. Jack Wallis and Bird both went for the same Doug Munday cross, leaving Dawber with an easy clearance, before Bailey increased Leytonstone’s lead in the fifty-third minute from Joseph’s centre and F Smith scored a simple goal on the hour, after which the home side eased up. Although Wimbledon did most of the attacking after that they were unable to break through the home defence and were often caught offside, so they were left to return home after suffering their biggest defeat of the season so far.