Saturday, 26 November 1949
Isthmian League
Plough Lane
3 - 2
Oxford City

Wimbledon, looking for their second double of the season, shuffled the pack up front. Jack Wallis dropped to the half-back line with Jock Woods taking the opposite wing, Jim Smith switched wings to replace Freddie Gauntlett and Charlie Smith, who had scored five goals for the reserves the previous Saturday, was given another chance alongside Harry Stannard.

It was unfortunate for the new look attack that the conditions underfoot were atrocious and the heavy ball played some amusing tricks on the players, despite which the standard of football was decent enough. City outplayed the home side in the first quarter of an hour and Jack Haydock was troubled by shots from Hawkins, Savin and Finch, but it was the Dons that took the lead. Woods recovered the ball on the goal-line, halfway between the goal and the corner-flag and screwed in a centre that Oakey could only get one hand to, and that to help it into the net. Spurred on, two minutes later Doug Munday smashed in a drive from twenty-five yards. City retaliated and pulled one back after twenty-one minutes when Hawkins started a move that Holmes finished. Four minutes later it was all square, Hawkins beating three defenders before beating Haydock with a rasping shot from the edge of the box. After four goals in eight minutes there was no further scoring before half-time.

Eight minutes into the second half Woods sent in a cross from near the touch-line and Harry Stannard headed goal-wards. The ball went over Oakey’s head and Jim Smith was following in to get the final touch, although it would have gone in anyway. Haydock was kept busy, although the Dons’ halves had a pretty good grip on the game. Fifteen minutes from time the light began to fade rapidly and many of the spectators left, believing the game would not be finished. It became impossible to follow the movement of the players and those fans left made frantic appeals for the referee to finish the game, but the shadows played on to the end and the points belonged to the home team.