Saturday, 04 November 1950
Isthmian League
Plough Lane
6 (3) - (0) 1

The committee shuffled the forward line for the visit of Ilford, victors in the away match three weeks previously. Roy Henderson returned to the reserves with Vic Bird recalled and he was joined by Harry Bull, Jim Smith moved over to the left wing in his place and Jock Woods, so reliable as a stand in half-back, was rewarded with a start on the vacant right wing.

In the opening ten minutes Ilford took the game to the home side, playing as if they meant to repeat their earlier success, and had their sixteen year old centre-forward Brett been less impetuous they would have been a goal up in the first few minutes. A shot from Eyett was deflected for a corner and an effort from Parker was only inches over. In the twelfth minute the Dons launched their first attack and were instantly rewarded with the opening goal, Bird ran onto a pass from Harry Stannard and fed Smith, he centred and Stannard headed home. Two minutes later Freddie Gauntlett scored from a corner and the same player ran in to meet an overhead pass from Stannard and put in a beauty that hit the unsuspecting Whittall and shot wide for a corner. Ilford’s neat passing created chances, but Arthur Parsons’ anticipation and handling were delightful and they were unable to break through. After half an hour Smith cut into the middle and found Bird, whose shot took the Ilford keeper by surprise and went in off the far upright.

The visitors started the second half at a trot and made several raids on the Wimbledon goal, but before long the home team regained the ascendancy. Stannard almost increased the lead when Beazley fell while stopping his low shot, but the keeper recovered and managed to stop the ball from crossing the line. Fifteen minutes after the break Bird forced the keeper to parry the ball and Gauntlett rushed up to force it over the line at the second attempt with a back-heel. Ilford briefly rallied and when Ken Lister brought down Milnes when he appeared certain to score, Fleet pulled one back from the resultant penalty kick. Within three minutes Gauntlett claimed his hat-trick following a splendid run from Woods. Bird completed the scoring with a quarter of an hour to go from Gauntlett’s pass and then got the ball in the net after Smith had delighted the crowd with a run that beat one opponent after another, but the goal was ruled offside. In the closing minutes Brett hit the crossbar with a great shot and missed an open goal, but Beazley was much busier than Parsons. After the game an Ilford official came into the Wimbledon Board room to congratulate team manager Doc Dowden "not because of your win, but for a grand exhibition of football."